If you aren’t familiar with chakras, here is a brief overview. Chakras are essentially circles of energy in our bodies, starting at the base of the spine and moving upwards to the crown of the head. Each chakra has a specific function related to our physical, mental and spiritual well-being. When chakras are balanced and aligned you can expect to experience harmony and health. A chakra that is unbalanced or not performing correctly can result in physical, emotional and spiritual suffering.
The first chakra we will discuss is the root or kundalini chakra, which is located at the base of the spine. A color that is often associated with this chakra is red and is represented by the element of earth. The major theme of this chakra is safety, support and survival. If this chakra is unbalanced a person may have trouble feeling safe in the world and the desire for security is a dominant force in their life. A person with an excessive root chakra might have issues with greed or paranoia and it could manifest as issues over controlling food intake. If you need to balance the root chakra, it is a good idea to connect with nature, such as gardening or taking a hike. Yoga is another way to open and balance this chakra.
In Feng Shui, the area of the home that is most closely related to safety, support and survival is the Wealth area of the Bagua, which is located in the furthest left-hand corner of the home if you are standing in your doorway looking in. The Wealth area isn’t just related to finances, it is the idea of having ‘wealth’ in every aspect of life. Opening and balancing your root chakra in conjunction with Feng Shui principles associated with the Wealth area will enhance and activate this Chi (energy) in this area.
Several of my favorite tips to activate the Wealth corner of a space are:
1. Place lucky bamboo in a tall, clear vase. Use any number of bamboo you’d like, avoiding 4 as this number is considered inauspicious and the word actually sounds like ‘death’ when pronounced in Cantonese.
2. As related to bamboo, anything that suggest upward growth or movement, such as pictures of trees or a waterfall. Avoid any water pictures if this area is in a bedroom.
3. Chinese coins or anything symbolic of wealth. This should be a personal reminder of prosperity.
4. Items that enhance Chi such as crystals, fresh flowers or windchimes.
5. Fountains can also be great in this area, however they should NOT be placed in a bedroom. It is also wise to know the Flying Star chart related to the home.
6. Clear the area of any clutter, keeping it as clean as possible. If there is a window here, this should also be cleaned regularly.
7. Greens, purples and blues are all good colors for the Wealth area.
8. A fish tank with 3 or 5 goldfish (again, not in a bedroom).
9. Display a 3 legged money frog. Be sure the coin in its mouth has the ruby facing upward (or if there is no ruby then the Chinese writings should be displayed upward).
It’s my hope that these quick tips will enhance the feelings of security and stability in your home and in your life. My next blog post will discuss the second chakra, the
Sacral chakra which is related to creativity and connection. Stay tuned!
Beauty. Balance. Blessings.